Friday, November 17, 2023

"The Times" First Draft (Annie's Version)


Remember when you were Crazy?

Remember when everyone adored you?

Remember when you told me all women love giving blow jobs?

Remember when you insinuated that you got offers?

Remember when you made me wear a hair-shirt

For a year,

Not wanting you near,

Because I’d been forced

As a matter of medical course,

To terminate what I thought would be

Our Baby:

A family.

Remember how sick I was those six weeks?


No, you don’t.


You weren’t there;

Just like your father,

Left you without a fucking care.

Were you still looking for him

At the 7-11,

Searching for Marlboros,

Only to find a starving uroboros?

And you fed into it.


Remember how my Catholic father,

And how, after you made it clear you couldn’t be bothered,

Had to take me to the hospital and wait

For the grandchild that would arrive late?


Remember not telling me about the naked sexts your best friend’s wife sent you for years?

Remember

Lying

To

Me

Every

Goddamned

Day

About

Every

Goddamned

Thing.


I don’t regret fucking another in my bed

While you melted into your couch.

I don’t regret love at first sight.

I don’t regret the secret messages

You wrote to women on social media,

Telling them we broke up,

Because I was “boring”

Besides, according to

you

i

Was

Old News

Long forgotten,

Nothing in common,

And it was hell.

So.

Here I am, back at the inkwell,

Ready to report just the facts, ma’am;

Ready to give away your tell.

Best fold that losing hand, man.


Add this biography to your exhausting excuses:

It’s all on me, why you refuse to move.

Hot damn, Ace, these circulating presses

Got me in a New York Groove!


Enter Lilith, here to smudge the black

Of your quarter century of lies:

The truth

Of our

Youth.

To Lilith's surprise,

I stole her prize:

Rosemary's Baby.

And, Baby,

He's of the demons that spit back.


This is merely chapter one:

This ain’t your patented one-and-done.

Your silver webs will come unspun

Erasers set to stun.


And,

Maybe,

Finally,

I’ll remember,

What it was like to love the sun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment