Friday, November 3, 2023

A Daisy

Time melts and drips

Like Dali’s clocks,

And watches.


From college greens

And the stairs outside

The English building

To your arms twisted

Around me, in the sheets

And christ, I miss that heat,

The feel of you,

Your desire for me,

Curtailing my prattling

With your kissing

Those lips belong on mine

Like red uncorked from wine

I miss the two of us being

Afraid of Virginia Woolf together

And endlessly seeking Flannery’s Jesus

Jesus

How we clicked and curved and fit

I’ll never remember the story we

Made up at dinner that night 

But I think about it all the time

And how that older couple

Stopped to tell us

How happy we looked.


But two Misfits will never fit. 

Watching you walk away

Through the waist-high rye,

A golden tear of goodbye

Slipped the horizon and

I remembered Dylan

And fought the sunset.


You forgot your mitt,

You couldn't catch them,

At the bottom of the canyon,

But I heard you cry

As they fell one by one,


"Here's lookin' at you, Kid."

No comments:

Post a Comment