Friday, November 3, 2023

Pine Needles


 I’ll bet she makes a beautiful bride,

And brings out all the best in you:

The fooler fooling another fool.

My ruler is crueler, so let's unspool

More than a quarter century defied.

Let's take one last meandering ride

Looking for the crash site:

You're the liar

I'm the writer

Let the professor take you to school.


I hope she ends up your fool

A fool who’ll make a fool of you.

We never said a word about

Your pathology of my doubt:

Your misdiagnosis

Became my prognosis

And I died in the dual.


I’ll always be your ghoul,

Your biggest mistake,

Your deepest regret,

The one you see across

The empty room.

I don’t know

If I want

For you

To move on

Or

Pine

Like the trees in 

Your backyard that whispered

Thick secrets

In the humid

Gulf breeze,

Yet it reminded me of

Fall:

Of when my heart pumps adrenaline

Manic fireflies, cool cigarettes,

Just enough chill

To get

A guy

To wrap me

In his flannel,

Smile kindly,

And make me regret

Every

Fucking

Second 

With

You.

No comments:

Post a Comment